Saturday, January 10, 2015

L’Abbatoir

I can sum up my brunch at L’Abbatoir in one word – rich. I met up with my long-time friend who was surprised to learn I had arrived slightly hungover, if one can be “slightly” hungover. It had been many years (over 20) since I had imbibed, so her marvel was founded. I found I craved fat and sugar to offset the deleterious effects of the alcohol.

In an unusual ordering process for me, I chose from the sides to compose my own calorific meal – a jelly-filled, sugar-coated doughnut, potato rosti, pork belly and beans. It was definitely not a brunch for someone watching their figure. It did achieve it’s intended effect, however, it grounded my spinning head. Then I ordered a coffee. My friend did a double-take as she also knew I had not been drinking coffee for over a decade. “What’s gotten into you?” she asked. “Fun,” I winked. “Next you’ll be telling me you are getting a tattoo,” she joked. “Well, actually...” I replied.

L’Abbatoir was the perfect place to include in my indulgent weekend.

217 Carrall Street
Brunch hours: Saturday/Sunday: 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

www.labbatoir.ca
Photos

No comments: