Saturday, July 20, 2013

Tacofino Commissary

When I experienced the original taco truck in Tofino years ago, I was an instant fan. The food was ah-mazing, and you cannot beat the environ. Of course, being on holiday in magical Tofino, fresh from a day on the water, lends an irreplaceable mystique to the whole situation. I have followed up with many visits to the Tacofino truck here in Vancouver, where I am always enamoured with the eats. I was happy to find the same goes for the Tacofino Commissary.

My Skirt Steak Torta with fried egg and pickled vegetables pacified a craving I didn’t even know I had. Since my recent move, I no longer have a BBQ. I was reminded of the primal instinct for tasting food cooked over fire when that smoky, tender grilled beef hit my palate. It was like being plugged into the font of all flavour. My friend, who always orders chorizo burritos wherever we go, had the Chorizo Verde Burrito, which was probably the best rendition I've ever tasted. Not sure what fairy dust the cook threw in there, but it packed punch. And without any fanfare, the Tater Tots are listed on the bottom of the menu, but don’t miss these salty, crunchy potato bits of yum served with homemade ketchup. Thankfully, I also had the foresight to request the Banana Churros for dessert at the time of ordering. Otherwise, we might have been too full and given them a pass. These are the pinnacle of deep-fried, sugar-coated doughy goodness.

Granted, East Hastings doesn’t match Tofino in ambiance, but don’t let that stop you from riding over to this great spot. The communal picnic tables and cranked music will cause you to reminisce about that time when you were somewhere fun.

2327 East Hastings Street
Brunch hours: Saturday/Sunday: 10 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
tacofinocommissary.com
Photos

No comments: