Sunday, April 28, 2013

Forage

I’m beginning to wonder if I have a lot of (hotel) travelling in my near future. You’ve heard me say it before and I’ll say it again – I love hotel restaurants! Is this weird? Am I the only one? I love the mixed crowd of locals and tourists, especially the tourists. I can feel their excited anticipation of yet another day of adventure, open to whatever unfolds. There always seems to be a heightened sense of lightness and fun in these types of establishments. Forage was no different.

Forage is located in the Listel Hotel, taking space from what used to be O’Douls. Though they are not known for their location, but instead for their food philosophy. They were recently given the “Green Award” from Vancouver Magazine. They emphasize sustainability by using locally-sourced food products, enacting energy and water conservation principles, and composting. Though, the only aspect we are able to see is the food. And it is beauteous.

My friend knew right away that she wanted the Turkey Sausage Hash. I had trouble choosing as I wanted to try several dishes, and after talking my friend into sharing breakfast dessert, I went with the Seafood Chowder, so that I would have room for the Pumpkin Brioche French Toast. My plan worked perfectly.

1300 Robson Street
Breakfast hours:
Monday to Friday: 6:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
Saturday/Sunday: 6:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
Brunch hours:
Saturday/Sunday: 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
www.foragevancouver.com
Photos

4 comments:

Regina Wong said...

Hi Breakfast in Vancouver Blog Team,

Since your blog is about breakfast in Vancouver and Little Nest has been our favorite breakfast spot for many kids and parents for many years, we were wondering if you were interested in covering our campaign taking place this Sunday, June 16th.

The "Save Little Nest" initiative is trying to raise awareness around rent control increases and the effects it's having on the local community.

The Little Nest Cafe is a local family run business off Commerical drive that has been a haven for its customers in the community. It's provided a safe and enjoyable place for parents and kids. You can read more about the initiative on our page here:

Tinykick Crowdfunding Page:
http://bit.ly/15RQeSi


Facebook event page
https://www.facebook.com/SaveLittleNest

We were only very recently contacted regarding this initiative since it is all volunteer driven. The page went live this past Monday night. We'd be grateful for any and all support. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Regina

regina@tinykick.com
778-960-7780

In Search of Breakfast said...

Hi Regina, thanks for writing. I have experienced in life that when something doesn't go as planned, it usually means there is a new opportunity in another direction. The challenge is that usually at the time, we cannot see it yet. Perhaps the owner of Little Nest is brewing a new dream which will be served better by being in a different location or even in a different business.

Good luck to everyone involved!

Anonymous said...

Little Nest is a wonderful spot. Your response to them is a huge failure.

In Search of Breakfast said...

Hi Anonymous,

I love Little Nest, too! In fact, they are on my favourites list.

My previous comments were coming from a personal place. I, myself, have just experienced the devastation of have to close my doors on my business of 4 years for similar reasons as Little Nest. It's painful. But instead of spending my energy fighting something I couldn't change, or controlling something I couldn't control, I took it as an opportunity to reconceptualize my own business. I am currently in the transition of rebuilding my own business, and am quite hopeful and excited about what's to come.

So, my comments, were intended to come from a place of hope and possibility, a place that took me months, and plenty of heartache, to get to for myself. I genuinely want the Little Nest owner to find something that works for her in all ways. If that's me failing, so be it.